The book of revelation is a hard one to decipher. It has a lot of symbolism, duality, and it appears to bounce around a lot, making it difficult to understand for many. Most people find the book of Revelation too difficult, too time consuming, and don’t care to spend the time on it so they CAN understand it.
I myself have been intensely studying Revelation the past 3 years trying to decode it, and as the Lord wills, so He reveals. I asked, He gave. I think you will like this part of Revelation, because it’s the part that pertains to all of us believers; the one part we all look forward to – Jesus’ return for us and our redemption from the earth.
Matthew, Mark and Luke all recorded the Words of Jesus when He spoke about His return to the earth. All 3 accounts of Jesus’ words regarding His return are identical, aside from a few slight differences where Luke goes into more detail about certain events. Let me go through and share the 7 imminent signs of Jesus’ return to get us, which I believe is the same event mentioned in Revelation 6 regarding the breaking of the 6th seal.
LET ME REPEAT, THESE ARE THE SIGNS OF THE LORDS IMMEDIATE RETURN FOR US only. There are MANY events throughout the tribulation period that occur, but these are solely referencing Jesus’ return for His saints; the “rapture” as some call it.
(These are found in Matthew 24, Mark 13, and Luke 21)
1. THE SUN WILL BE DARKENED. What could cause this? An eclipse? Possibly. Could it be something vast entering our solar system? That is possible as well.
2. THE MOON WILL NOT GIVE IT’S LIGHT. Makes sense since the sun is darkened. The sixth seal mentions this as the moon being blood red – which would also point to a full lunar eclipse. SOMETHING is happening that is darkening the sun and moon. Never has there even been a full solar and lunar eclipse at once. These may NOT happen at once, the Word does not specify. But if it IS a simultaneous event, what could it be?
3. STARS FALL FROM HEAVEN. Meteors, comets; these are a sign of Jesus’ imminent return (along with the others listed here). If something big were to pass by the earth, and possibly have a magnetism to it, it would be carrying with it debris that could pelt the earth, and could also throw the earth’s stability off kilter briefly, darken the sun and moon. This could explain all the events described by Jesus in these 3 books, and John’s descriptions in Revelation. (I say these things just to provoke thought on this matter. I’m not insinuating anything here because I don’t know for sure.)
Luke reveals more in his writings of Jesus’ words. He mentions such distress in the nation that people are perplexed, standing in doubt, confused. He also reveals that the seas and the waves will be ROARING. What could cause this?
4. THE SIGN OF JESUS WILL THEN APPEAR in the heavens. The bible doesn’t describe what this SIGN will be, but rest assured, we will be shown SOMETHING regarding His return. The star of Bethlehem revealed His birth, certainly there will be a sign regarding His return.
5. ALL THE EARTH WILL MOURN. Pondering this, I guess they would. Those who have denied Him, those who have declared atheism, satanists, etc; and I’m sure some of the world’s Christians will as well, those who aren’t watching the signs and are unaware of the prophesies.
Luke goes into further detail of this stating that many hearts will fail people in their fear of what is happening on the earth. This tells us these events are unprecedented, fearful sights. But we as Christians who are watching will not be in fear because we will KNOW that Satan has pushed the Lord too far and is now coming to redeem His saints, and this event will then invoke God’s wrath on the earth (after we’ve been pulled away.) I will go into more detail about this in another blog.
6. WILL SEE JESUS COMING IN THE CLOUDS WITH POWER AND GREAT GLORY. The angel promised the world would see Jesus return just as He had gone after He revealed His resurrection to many. The disciples all described Jesus leaving as “going up into the clouds”. Other verses throughout the Word describe men seeing Him as sitting at the right of the Father on the throne when He returns.
7. JESUS INSTRUCTS THE ANGELS TO GATHER HIS ELECT FROM THE FOUR CORNERS OF THE EARTH WITH THE SOUND OF A TRUMPET. The “trumpet” has always been used throughout the bible to announce a gathering together, gear up for battle with an enemy, or God just announcing Himself. His voice is often described in the OT as a “trumpet”.
From what I’m reading here, right out of Jesus’ own words, His coming to gather His saints will not be a quiet, calm, or even sudden event, like pre-trib rapture believers would suggest. The “thief in the night” reference is regarding watching and BEING READY, or not watching – being caught unaware. Reading the Parable of the wise and foolish virgins (Matthew 25) goes into this further.
I believe Jesus’ return will be a quick event, but not a quiet one. Revelation 6 points out in the 6th seal that there will be a great earthquake also involved with this.
You can clearly see the correlation between Jesus’ words to His disciples regarding His return and the sixth seal of Revelation. Jesus tells His disciples at the time that they see these events happening, to “look up, because your redemption is nigh.” This isn’t referring to any saved DURING the tribulation period; it’s referring to the elect, the chosen, the saints. He was referring to those who have died in Him, and those who have survived the persecutions that come before hand – which again, I will go into in another blog.
Sixth Seal: Cosmic Disturbances
12 I looked when He opened the sixth seal, and behold, there was a great earthquake; and the sun became black as sackcloth of hair, and the moon became like blood. 13 And the stars of heaven fell to the earth, as a fig tree drops its late figs when it is shaken by a mighty wind. 14 Then the sky receded as a scroll when it is rolled up, and every mountain and island was moved out of its place. 15 And the kings of the earth, the great men, the rich men, the commanders, the mighty men, every slave and every free man, hid themselves in the caves and in the rocks of the mountains, 16 and said to the mountains and rocks, “Fall on us and hide us from the face of Him who sits on the throne and from the wrath of the Lamb! 17 For the great day of His wrath has come, and who is able to stand?”
We see here in Revelation a few more details about this period in time.
THE SKY RECEDING AS A SCROLL: Imagine that. Imagine looking up at the sky at night and suddenly you see a something coming over the sky that makes the stars appear to “roll up” like a scroll. And this event also causes “EVERY MOUNTAIN AND ISLAND TO MOVE OUT OF IT’S PLACE.” This can only be caused by a massive supernatural event, or something of the natural, but unknown. More to ponder. And of course people hiding themselves in caves shows again, the great fear that will come over the earth.
The Lord’s return is nothing to fear if you know you are going to be redeemed from the earth. I’m pretty sure, based on my studies, that those of us who ARE watching will know pretty clearly the signs and what they are all about. The Lord tells us over and over not to fear, that He will never leave us, nor forsake us. Let’s face it, this will be something so much bigger than any of us, and completely humbling. It will be an exhilarating event that many of us have pondered and contemplated for a long time.
I hope you enjoyed this study. I encourage you to read Jesus’ account of His return in all 3 books (Matthew, Mark and Luke), and then put them side by side with the sixth seal. This will hopefully start you on a journey of further understanding of the book of Revelation. I love that the Lord gave us a complex book (Revelation), and gave us answers to parts of that book throughout the rest of the Bible.
Watch for future studies.
Peace to you all, today and every day.