I’ve been doing some research on the ancient Roman Empire. You see, I’ve been wondering for about 3 years now if America IS the prophesied “Babylon” of the last days. I’ve been suspecting we ARE the revived Roman Empire.
I gotta say – the more I look at this – the more I think my suspicions are right.
It’s kinda funny because so many people have asked over the years: Why isn’t America listed in the Bible? Guess what? I think we are – but not at all in a positive light.
My suspicions all started when I kept hearing in different places on the news, etc. that America had similarities to the old Roman Empire and more than likely we will collapse, just as they did. These comparisons got my wheels turning so I started looking into the history of the Roman Empire, our history, and what the bible says about this “Babylon” that will be destroyed in one hour per prophecy.
If you are a true patriot, and have a hard time with busted bubbles, you may want to stop reading as this blog may not appeal to you. But, if you are a strong Christian, and put America behind Jesus instead of in front of – you may find this intriguing.
Let’s look at some interesting parallels:
1. Both Ancient Rome and America were superpowers in the world. Both dominated the world on many avenues.
2. Both AR and the US have been known for their military strength and might. Even the Bible suggests that the fourth “beast” worships a god of ‘war’.
3. Both AR and the US have been known for adhering to a “rule of law”. Ancient Rome was a republic at one point, and had a legal system and set of laws very similar to America’s.
4. Ancient Rome had a stable currency that the people could rely on, much like America did for a long time.
5. Ancient Rome built beautiful buildings and structures. They built waterway systems and roads for travel.
6. The Ancient Romans created art and literature.
7. Rome flourished for more than 200 years in relative peace and prosperity. We have had our troubles in this nation, but we too have flourished and lived in relative peace and prosperity for about 250 years.
STILL NOT CONVINCED that America is like the ancient Roman Empire? One must look at HOW Rome fell to see the similarities all come together:
1. Political leaders in Rome grabbed hold of the power in that nation that turned many into tyrants.
They indulged in debauchery (Indulgence in sensual pleasures; scandalous activities involving sex, alcohol, or drugs without inhibition.) and corruption.
They raised taxes on the citizens and increased regulation.
When the masses complained about the government in Rome, the corrupt leaders tried to please them with free hand outs.
SOUND FAMILIAR? Let’s keep going….
2. the rulers in Rome started performing unconstitutional acts; they started breaking their own laws and ignoring the ones they didn’t care about – much like our government today. Today our government is run more by “executive order” than the constitution.
3. Ancient Rome built up high debt.
4. the leaders had continual high spending on their lavish lifestyles and agendas.
THIS ONE I FOUND PARTICULARLY INTERESTING:
5. Ancient Rome started DEVALUING THEIR CURRENCY. Much like how we keep printing more money, making it more and more worthless – Rome’s governments did that as well over time. Their silver coins started out with 98 plus percent silver in them. By the time they collapsed – there was (maybe) 2% silver in the coins issued by the government and those very coins were no longer acceptable by the government for payment of taxes! (The people had to give over their goods to pay their taxes.)
6. ANCIENT ROME HAD A WELFARE STATE. Yes, believe it or not, we aren’t the first to create this abomination of “free handouts” and entitlements. It started out with subsidized grain for the poor where they only had to pay 1/2 price for it. Eventually it became FREE WHEAT for the masses. Political leaders even started running on the promise of free handouts, would be voted in, and the lavish handouts grew and grew, right along with the taxes to pay for it all. Sound familiar yet?
7. Late in the reign of the ancient Roman Empire (about 250 BC), public schools were started. Much of the success of Roman Empire early on was because most of Rome’s children were home-schooled. When public schools started, more dependence on the government was instilled.
8. Taxation in ancient Rome started as a simple tax and then grew into things such as a death tax, property taxes and income taxes, taxing the people literally to death because if they didn’t pay their taxes, they would either be enslaved, or killed. The IRS isn’t into killing people as of yet, but they don’t hesitate to make your life a living hell (much like ancient Rome) if you don’t pay your taxes.
9. THE HIDDEN TAX OF INFLATION. Being 43, I have witnessed this inflation garbage and cannot believe how much money we pay for gas, food, clothing, etc today compared to even just 20 years ago. Ancient Rome was no different. In 200 AD – a bushel of wheat cost about 8 Roman dollars. By 300 AD, that same bushel of wheat cost 120,000 Roman dollars. The Bible describes this “inflation” in the last days prophesies in the book of Revelation – the third seal:
5 When He opened the third seal, I heard the third living creature say, “Come and see.” So I looked, and behold, a black horse, and he who sat on it had a pair of scales in his hand. 6 And I heard a voice in the midst of the four living creatures saying, “A quart of wheat for a denarius, and three quarts of barley for a denarius; and do not harm the oil and the wine.”
A DENARIUS IN John’s time was a WEEK’S WAGES – a week’s wages for a loaf of bread in other words.
10. The empire kept expanding it’s government, growing bigger and bigger, much like we all complain about the American government today. Everywhere you turn, the government has it’s hands in every aspect of our lives, and some government employee is handling every aspect of our lives.
11. Often times, the leaders of the Ancient Roman government would blame “greed” on the nation’s financial woes. How much have we heard THAT here in America???
12. BREAD AND CIRCUSES: The ancient Roman empire spent big money for entertainment venues to keep the people happy as to not think about the problems the government was causing. Then it was chariot races, gladiators, and stadiums to display those in. Today in America it’s football stadiums…and we all know how American’s LOVE football. Yes, our government is placating you, just like the Romans did, to disguise their corruption and tyranny and make you forget about it while you watch, worship and discuss football. Or how about our TV’s? Music, movies, reality shows….HOLLYWOOD. Bread, and circuses. People are ALWAYS willing to give up freedoms and rights as long as they’re “entertained”.
13. The arrogance of the Roman leaders eventually got out of control. They started spending and spending on more luxurious things for themselves – to a point of not even trying to hide it. One of the leaders of Rome was known for never wearing the same clothes twice….while Barack Obama takes billion dollar vacations at least twice a year….oh yeah, and don’t forget the golf!
There’s much more to this story than I can fit in this blog. The point is – while many prophecy teachers are waiting and watching for a “revived” Roman Empire, are they so dense to miss THIS revived Roman Empire???? Or are they just that deceptive?
Sadly, it is HIGHLY possible at this stage in the game that America will end up just like the ancient Roman Empire; in ruins, desolate, broken down, diminished. We ARE following all the same steps of the RE, and will follow them right into our own destruction, just like Rome.
Isn’t it time to wake up America? Get yourself right with Christ. That’s the ONLY thing that truly matters anymore!
Peace to you all, today and every day.